Home' Visitor Guide : 2017 Port Augusta Visitor Guide Contents WWW.WADLATA .SA.GOV.AU 21
22 GREAT WESTERN BRIDGE was built in 1927.
The new Port Augusta Bridge was opened in 1972,
and renamed the Joy Baluch AM Bridge in 2013.
23 THE OLD BARGE was brought here by the
E&WS for use in the widening of the bridge in 1944.
It was abandoned after the work was completed
because, it is said, it would not fit back under the
24 SEAVIEW HOUSE was constructed in 1881
at a cost of £4,500 ($9,000) by the Bank of S.A . The
Union Bank took it over in 1892 but closed its doors
in 1894. In later years it became the Seaview Hostel,
a boarding house for railway employees, and now it
houses the Department of Primary Industry.
MARRYATT STREET probably recognizes Lady
Augusta Young’s maiden name.
25 POST OFFICE. There had been a telegraph
service to Adelaide, run by James Fabian Phillips,
as early as 1856, but it probably operated from
the Customs House, where Hiram Mildred looked
after the postal service, among his many duties. In
1866 a telegraph station was built on this site, and
the Telegraph and Post Office were amalgamated
in 1870. The Overland Telegraph began from
Port Augusta in 1870. The present building was
constructed in 1962. There had been earlier local
experiments with telephone, for example in 1884
when Dr Markham’s house was connected with
the hospital, but the first telephone exchange was
established in 1911.
26 INSTITUTE THEATRE was originally the
Institute erected by subscription from members
of the town and opened in 1876. The building was
used variously as a council office, Road Board
Office, church, school, library and reading rooms,
billiard club, entertainment area, youth club.
It was refurbished in 2008 as part of the State
Government’s Regional Centre of Culture program
for use as a theatre.
27 TOWN HALL. The original town hall was
completed in 1887, and was a remarkable symbol
of progress. The stone was carried from quarries
at Quorn. In 1944 it was largely destroyed by fire,
but was rebuilt around the Corinthian frontage
and dome which survived, and reopened in 1946.
The building has not been well maintained since it
was vacated by the Council in 1983, and its future is
28 OLD FIRE STATION was built in 1880 to house
the offices of the Board of Main Roads, and was
later home to the fire brigade until the new fire
station was built in the 1970s.
29 OLD COURT HOUSE. This fine building
was built from Saltia Creek stone in 1884. Earlier
court proceedings were conducted in the Customs
House, then a Court House was erected in 1866,
along with a police station, on the now vacant
corner. The police took over both parts of that
building and in 1966 a new police station was built.
This was demolished in 1996, when the new station
30 TROOPERS’ BARRACKS. This area was used
as the Troopers’ Barracks from 1860 to 1882. The
residence was built in 1881, and was converted to
a waterworks and store in 1882. The Blacksmith’s
Shop was converted to a library and the Courts
Department used the offices until 2006. In 2008 the
buildings were converted into two galleries, “ Yarta
Purtli”, and administration offices, and together
with the Institute Theatre they make up the Cultural
GLADSTONE SQUARE was named after the
Prime Minister of England in 1883 – across the
road, where the Civic Centre now stands, was
originally Disraeli Square. Disraeli was the other
PM in England that year. Looking around you will
see the statue of former long-serving late Mayor
Joy Baluch AM, the Cross of Sacrifice and honour
rolls, the 1914 Krupp field gun, “Reflection Rose”
garden memorial and the “Olympic Rose Garden”,
wheelchair friendly Liberty Swing, and furnishings
donated by various individuals and organizations.
31 A.D. TASSIE MEMORIAL was originally
located on the corner of Commercial Road and
Church Street, but was relocated here in 1881 and
eventually remounted on the masonry pedestal.
32 ROTUNDA. The Rotunda was built in 1890. In
1923 it was dedicated as a Soldiers’ Memorial. It was
extensively restored in 2010.
33 DRINKING FOUNTAIN was located at the
wharf end of Commercial Road before being
relocated to Gladstone Square in the 1930s. It
is a tribute to the memory of James Beatton,
postmaster of Port Augusta from 1882 until his
death in 1905.
34 THOMAS YOUNG MEMORIAL was erected
in 1913 in memory of “The Father of Port Augusta”.
He served for many years as a councillor and was
the fourth mayor, and served the community in
many other roles. This has also been relocated from
its original position, somewhere on the far side of
Disraeli Square (Civic Centre).
35 NORTHERN GATEWAY SHOPPING CENTRE,
was formerly a brewery, much later a licensed hotel,
entertainment and accommodation complex known
as the Northern Gateway Inn until 1989. A small
stone brewery was on the site from the late 1860s,
and was substantially extended in 1879 but was
abandoned in 1897 due the difficulty in obtaining
suitable water. A cordial factory was there for a time,
but fire in 1943 caused considerable damage – the
chimney and front archway remain to this day.
36 PORT AUGUSTA BOWLING CLUB
celebrated 100 years in 2009, having been in
the same location for that whole period of time,
although the club house was originally at the
opposite end of the green.
37 PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. The foundation
stone for the manse and church was laid in
1885, after several earlier attempts to establish a
congregation in Port Augusta, the first appointment
being Rev. Alexander Law in 1862. Having decided
not to join the Uniting Church in 1977, this remains
the only Presbyterian congregation outside the
metropolitan area in northern half of the state.
38 QUINN FUNERALS CHAPEL, was formerly
the Salvation Army Citadel, opened in 1919 by a
Corps which was founded in 1883. Quinn Funerals
purchased the building in 2009.
© Copyright Cynthia Collins: Information sourced
from the Port Augusta Public Library.
Links Archive 2014 Guide Navigation Previous Page Next Page